AS/400 – formally renamed the “IBM iSeries,” but always known as the AS/400 – is a mid-range server designed for small businesses and businesses in large enterprises and now redesigned so that it will work well in a distributed network with s Web Application S. AS / 400 using PowerPC microprocessor technology with its reduced instruction set computer. Its operating system called OS/400. With disk storage multi-terabyte s and a Java virtual memory closely related to the operating system, IBM AS/400 hopes to make a kind of versatile all-purpose server, which can replace the PC server and web server in the world as companies compete for Wintel and UNIX servers, but give the current huge customer base immediately jump on the Internet.
The AS/400 comes with an integrated database. One option is widely installed Domino (Notes from a web browser).
According to IBM, these are some important applications for AS/400:
- Data Warehousing: With Multi-GB of RAM, and multi-terabytes of disk space, the AS/400 can be a repository for large volumes of corporate data, including data mining could be applied.
- Java Application Development: Java Virtual Machine with tightly integrated tools and developed by IBM to develop commercial applications with Java, the AS/400 can be used as a development system.
- Web and e-commerce: with a Web server and applications designed to support e-business (orders, tracking orders, providing services to clients, working with partners and suppliers), and a firewall, the AS/400 can manage Internet is a medium sized company.
- Corporate groupware services: Assuming that the Domino and Notes is part of the system, is designed to rapidly provide a company a sophisticated design e-mail, file sharing, message boards, and electronic collaboration.
Here are 4 main reasons about why use an AS/400?
- Reliability – almost never goes down.
- Safety – No virus known.
- In general, a low TCO (total cost of ownership)
- Keep your existing code (who else is running RPG?)
Numbers 1 and 2 are the ones you see most of the casinos, banks, insurance companies, and the need to run this system.